What is Operation Jam Jar?

Operation Jam Jar is all about getting back to basics in the kitchen.

Check out my efforts at cooking from scratch - cakes, soups, biscuits

Learn how to make things that you would normally buy at the supermarket - wraps, ice cream, pizza bases

Try to live a more 'country' lifestyle in the city - making your own jams or relish

Get the skills to enjoy cooking in a thrifty way, and have a bit of fun while you do it

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Mum's Red Chops


A while ago I wrote about my top 11 meals of all time based on memories, nostalgia and general greediness. 

Mum’s Red Chops (yes that’s the official name) has been one of those recipes that I cook again and again.  I’m yet to meet someone who doesn’t like them – for some reason guys especially like this meal. 

The original recipe calls for lamb cutlets but I usually just use lamb chops, or lean pork steaks, or cubed beef on skewers, or whatever you have on hand really.  Lamb cutlets are a bit expensive and to be honest there’s not enough meat on them for gluttons like me.  You can also cook these on the BBQ.  

If you have time it’s good to leave the meat to marinate for an hour or so before cooking, but it will still taste great if you don’t do this.  When this is cooking in the oven it gives off the most amazing aroma.  

You will see from my picture that this is the 'before' shot of the meat before placing in the oven.  Honestly it smells so good that before I knew it I had cooked it, served it and eaten it all before I remembered to get the 'after' shot.  

Ingredients:

6 big lamb chops, trimmed of excess fat

Sauce:

1/3rd cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 clove of garlic (crushed)
1 tablespoon grainy mustard
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 190°C

Place all of the sauce ingredients in a large casserole dish.  Add the chops and ensure they are well coated in the sauce.

Place in the oven, turning once during this time.  Cook for 30 minutes or until cooked as desired.  Serve with peas and mash. 


No comments:

Post a Comment