What is Operation Jam Jar?

Operation Jam Jar is all about getting back to basics in the kitchen.

Check out my efforts at cooking from scratch - cakes, soups, biscuits

Learn how to make things that you would normally buy at the supermarket - wraps, ice cream, pizza bases

Try to live a more 'country' lifestyle in the city - making your own jams or relish

Get the skills to enjoy cooking in a thrifty way, and have a bit of fun while you do it

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Skinny dipping

I love dip. A lot. 


Sometimes we have Turkish bread & dip for dinner. Don’t judge me, it’s awesome. Try it.  


A good way to save money & make sure your dip isn’t really unhealthy is to make it yourself. I had always put this into the too hard basket until I tried these 2 recipes – so easy 


Beetroot Dip 
1 can of beetroot, drained 
2 tsp horseradish 
1 tbsp lemon juice (use lemon squeeze if you don’t have fresh) 
1 cup light natural yoghurt 
Salt & pepper 


Put everything into a blender or food processor and blend. The end. 


======


Growing up I don’t think hummus existed, or at least not in my house. These days, I can’t get enough of the stuff 


Hummus 
1 can of chickpeas, drained 
2 tsp minced garlic 
½ cup light natural yoghurt 
2 tbsp lemon juice 
Salt & pepper 


Once again, put everything in a blender or food processor and blend. Too easy.


Sometimes you might need to adjust how much yoghurt you put into each of these, depending on the consistency of the yoghurt itself.


I’m about to try making my own natural yoghurt for the first time this week (thanks to my mother in law's advice). I'll let you know how it goes, but if it works out and tastes good, it would make these dips even cheaper. Talk about thrifty.

No comments:

Post a Comment