What is Operation Jam Jar?

Operation Jam Jar is all about getting back to basics in the kitchen.

Check out my efforts at cooking from scratch - cakes, soups, biscuits

Learn how to make things that you would normally buy at the supermarket - wraps, ice cream, pizza bases

Try to live a more 'country' lifestyle in the city - making your own jams or relish

Get the skills to enjoy cooking in a thrifty way, and have a bit of fun while you do it

Sunday, November 14, 2010

The. Easiest. Cake. Ever




Today I have a recipe for a super easy and super tasty little coconut cake.    

I absolutely love recipes like this.  4 ingredients, mixed in a bowl with a wooden spoon and then baked – no melting this, separating that, whisking or sifting required.

This cake can be made in about 32 minutes, so the minute that your friend calls and says they’re stopping by for a visit you can whack this in the oven and serve it warm with a lovely cup of tea. I have to say it doesn’t look all that impressive and doesn’t actually rise too much.  But it’s a bit crunchy on the outside and lovely and moist on the inside, and I’ve never had anyone that didn’t like it yet.  Give it a whirl next weekend!

Ingredients

1 cup of self raising flour
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of desiccated coconut
¾ cup of milk

Instructions
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl with a wooden spoon.  Bake in a greased and floured loaf tin or small round cake tin at 180°C for 30 mins or until golden on top.  

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I just made this cake and its surprisingly good! The coconut adds just the right amount of sweetness without being over powering. My kids loved it, i made 2 cakes so i can freeze some. Thanks, Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Belinda. It's great to hear your kids liked it. I've never been too confident on the freezing side of cooking but might have to give that a try next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I freeze them in individual pieces, then just throw them into their lunch boxes to be eaten later. My son had two helpings yesterday. I just love it was so easy with minimal ingredients.

    ReplyDelete